Sleep is essential to help recharge your body and mind, yet surprisingly more than 40 million Americans suffer from sleep disorders! If you’re not getting enough sleep, it will affect your memory, concentration and even performance! It can also put you at risk for heart disease, cancer, autoimmune disorders and obesity.
There are many causes for insomnia and you should see a doctor to figure out your specific cause to help guide the treatment. There is also a growing dependency on prescription sleep medications, but that only masks the real cause of the problem.
So here are 5 easy tips for better sleep tonight!
1. Get rid of the TV in your bedroom! The bedroom should be for two things only: sleep and where the magic happens!
2. Daily exercise! I can’t emphasize this enough. You must exercise every day to restore the balance and help you sleep at night. Just don’t exercise at 10 pm!!
3. Don’t stare at the clock! I would suggest, turn it away from you or keep it outside the bedroom. If you wake up in the middle of the night, don’t check what time it is. You don’t want to stress yourself that you have to wake up in a couple of hours.
4. Natural supplements: You can use natural and non-addictive supplements, like melatonin, valerian, lemon balm or hops. My latest favorite is Glycine. It’s a non-essential amino acid, that prolongs your sleep cycle and helps prevent waking up during the night.
5. Surrender to sleep! Falling asleep should not be a battle. Look at it as if you’re charging your cell phone after a long day of use. Surrender, let go and be at peace.
So try these tips for better sleep tonight and if you need more help, I’d be happy to work with you in my private practice. Until then, peace and love.